Thursday, September 5

Email signature; 10 things about me assignment

Today you are going to submit your first assignment electronically - or in other words by email.  Before you actually send your email we are going to talk about the various components of a correct email.

There are 5 parts that you need to have with every email you send (you can have more, such as Cc or Bcc or an attachment, but you should have at a minimum all of the following):
  1. email address of the person you are sending it to
  2. subject line
  3. greeting
  4. body of the email
  5. signature
There is a proper way to enter information for each of these five components.  Let's take a look at what needs to be done for each of the five:
  1. an email address actually has 5 sub-parts to it - they are:
    1. username (whatever comes before the @ symbol)
    2. @ symbol
    3. the email server ("gmail", for example)
    4. period
    5. top level domain (or TLD) - com, org, net, etc.
    6. THE EMAIL ADDRESS MUST BE SPELLED CORRECTLY!
  2. subject line
    1. explains to the reader of the email what the email is about
    2. not typed in all caps
  3. greeting
    1. include the name of the person you are sending the email to
    2. depending on your relationship with the individual, it may be "Dear Mr. Smith" or you might enter "James"
  4. body
    1. Write in complete sentences
    2. if you want your email to be professional, avoid texting language (LOL, OMG, etc.)
    3. spell check!!
  5. signature
    1. create a signature using features in Google
    2. eliminates having to remember to type your name at the bottom
Here is how you create a contact in Gmail:
  1. Click on "Gmail" in the top left.
  2. Choose "Contacts"
  3. Click on "New Contact"
  4. Fill in appropriate information
  5. My school email address is dpardoe@dist228.org


10 Facts About Me Assignment:
You are going to complete your first email assignment.  This email requires you to write 10 facts about yourself, but in an interesting way.  You will need to come up with a fact about you that is related to the number you put it next to.  Here is an example:

1.  I have one sister
2.  I have golfed at the John Deere TPC twice
3.  I have 3 kids
4.  I have been to Great America- Chicago 4 times
5.  I have 5 different email addresses that I have access to.
6.  I started playing the piano at age 6.
7.  My sister's name is Janelle - it has 7 letters in her first name.
8.  I have been to Lake of the Ozarks 8 times
9.  The zip code of the town I grew up in was 80759
10.  One of the vehicles I own was built in 2010

When you are done with this assignment you will need to email it to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment