Tuesday, January 14

First assignment

Today you are going to receive your first assignment.  But, before getting it we are going to make a small change to your Google account.  Additionally, we are going to add a contact in your Gmail as well.  So, let's sign in to your Google account and I'll show you how you can add a signature to your account and how to add a contact.

The purpose of the signature, in terms of an email account, is that you can automatically add your signature to every outgoing email message that you send.  This is useful because you should always include your name at the end of every email.

Here is how you create a contact in Gmail:
  1. Click on "Gmail" in the top left.
  2. Choose "Contacts"
  3. Click on "New Contact"
  4. Fill in appropriate information
  5. My school email address is dpardoe@dist228.org
After including your signature in your email we are going to talk about your first assignment.  The name of the assignment is "10 things about me".  You will need to send to me by Friday 10 facts about yourself (this is a homework assignment - you will not be allowed to complete this during class).  However, the 10 facts are going to be a little unique.  I'll explain this part in class - here's an example of what you would need to include:

1 - I have 1 sister
2 - I have golfed at the John Deere TPC twice
3 - I have 3 kids
4 - 4 is my favorite number
5 - I have been to a Chicago Bears game 5 times
6 - I started playing the piano at age 6
7 - The address of the house I am currently living in is 707
8 - I have been to Lake of the Ozarks 8 times
9 - The zip code of the town I grew up in is 80759
10 - One of the cars I own is a 2010 Toyota Highlander

When you send me your email you will need to make sure that you include the 5 parts to a correct email.  They are listed here:

  1. Email address
    1. Username (what comes before the @ symbol)
    2. the @ symbol
    3. email server (gmail or yahoo, for example)
    4. the period
    5. the top level domain (.com, .net, .org)
  2. Subject line
    1. explains to the reader of the email what the email is about
    2. not typed in all caps
  3. Greeting
    1. include the name of the person you are sending the email to
    2. depending on your relationship with the individual, it may be "Dear Mr. Smith" or you might enter "James"
  4. Body
    1. Write in complete sentences
    2. if you want your email to be professional, avoid texting language (LOL, OMG, etc.)
    3. spell check!!
  5. Signature
    1. create a signature using features in Google (done!)
    2. eliminates having to remember to type your name at the bottom


No comments:

Post a Comment